Our school counselor, Kara Warner, MS, PPS, provides the coordination of the following services for students:
- Counseling – the school counselor meets with students and parents for individual and crisis counseling situations on campus. Long term therapy for students and families is handled by referral to outside agencies.
- Conflict mediation – for students and parents.
- Standardized testing – completed annually each October using the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. You can find out more information on standardized testing here.
- Student Study Team (SST) intervention process – the school counselor works with teachers and parents to provide a plan of intervention for at risk students.
- Psychoeducational Evaluations – the school counselor assists parents in obtaining evaluations for learning and behavioral difficulties through private clinical psychologists and/or the public school district.
- Lunch recess supervision – the school counselor is available to students everyday on the playground during lunch recess in order to help with conflict mediation and relationship skills.
- Homework Club – an after school program from 3:15-4:15 where 2nd-8th grade students receive homework help from credentialed teachers in a small group environment. The Homework Club sign-up sheet is available here.
- Tutoring Program – the school counselor matches students with tutors in order to provide extra academic support. Tutors are either credentialed teachers or high school students who are alumnus of Grace Christian School.
- Individual Accommodation Plans/504 Plans- if a student has a diagnosed learning or behavioral difficulty, the school counselor works with the student’s psychologist and classroom teacher to create and implement accommodation plans.
- Speech services – the school counselor works with the speech pathologist from the Escondido Union School District to provide speech articulation support for Kindergarten through 5th grade students.
- High school registration – the school counselor assists 8th grade students and their parents in successfully transitioning to high school.
Please contact our school counselor Kara Warner at 760.747.3029, ext. 7108 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.